Raiffeisen Bank International at a glance
Raiffeisen Bank International at a glance
Raiffeisenbank a.s. is a subsidiary of Raiffeisen Bank International AG (RBI), which regards Central and Eastern Europe (including Austria), as its home market. For nearly 25 years, RBI has been operating in the Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) region, where today it maintains a closely knit network of subsidiary banks, leasing companies and numerous specialized financial service providers in 17 markets. As a universal bank, RBI ranks among the leading banks in the region. The powerful role played by the bank is supported by the Raiffeisen brand, which is one of the most widely recognized brands in the region. Following its strategic realignment in 2010, RBI has positioned itself as a fully integrated corporate and retail banking group in CEE. The bank not only has good access to retail and corporate customers, but also boasts a comprehensive product offering. At the end of 2011 around 56,000 staff served approximately 13.8 million customers in around 2,915 business outlets in CEE.
In Austria, RBI is one of the top corporate and investment banks. It primarily serves Austrian customers, but also international as well as major multinational clients operating in CEE. Moreover, RBI is represented in the world's financial centers and operates branches and representative offices in Asia. All in all, RBI employs about 59,000 staff and has total assets of approximately € 147 billion.
RBI operates subsidiary banks in the following CEE markets:
RBI was established in October 2010 through the merger of Raiffeisen International with the principal business areas of Raiffeisen Zentralbank Österreich AG (RZB). RBI's position as one of the leading banks in CEE (including Austria) was further reinforced by the merger. RBI has been listed on the Vienna stock exchange since 25 April 2005 (until 12 October 2010 as Raiffeisen International). It is represented in several leading national and international indices, including the ATX and Euro Stoxx Banks. RZB remained the majority shareholder following the merger, holding approximately 78.5 per cent of the shares. The remaining 21.5 per cent of RBI's shares are in free float.
RZB was formed in 1927 as “Genossenschaftliche Zentralbank” (GZB). Raiffeisen gained its first foothold in Central and Eastern Europe back in 1987, when it established its first subsidiary bank in Hungary. Other own subsidiaries have since been established; from 2000 onwards, Raiffeisen's expansion in the CEE countries has mainly been achieved by acquiring existing banks, which are combined into a holding company that from 2003 until October 2010 operated under the name Raiffeisen International. Raiffeisen International listed on the stock exchange in April 2005 in order to finance its future growth as efficiently as possible. RBI was subsequently established in 2010 through the merger of Raiffeisen International with the principal business areas of RZB.
125 years of Raiffeisen in Austria
Raiffeisen's strong roots in Austria date back more than 125 years. Raiffeisen's first Austrian credit cooperative was founded in Mühldorf, a village in Lower Austria, in 1886. Local cooperatives soon started working together and, in turn, founded regional cooperatives marking the beginning of the multi-tiered nature of the Raiffeisen organization. This not only helped to strengthen their position in the market, but also enabled better management and risk control. Numerous product and service cooperatives were founded on the back of increasing specialization and market integration. In mid-2011, the Raiffeisen Banking Group Austria (RBG), the country's largest banking group, managed € 83.8 billion in Austrian customer deposits (excluding building society savings), of which around € 50.3 billion was held in savings deposits; with a market share of 32.2 per cent, RBG has continued to expand its role as market leader among Austria's banks. RBG has achieved its strong market position through healthy organic growth.
For more information please refer to www.rbinternational.com and www.rzb.at.